Friday, September 6, 2013

Sweet Tea Martini... I Think I'm in Love.



I have been hooked on my friend Mary Johnson's lemon drops for 2 years now.  It is a refreshing, skinny version of a lemon drop martini and I never thought there would be any other serious competition...Until...

While out to dinner in Boston, my daughter ordered a sweet tea lemonade.  I tried one and it was really good.  For some reason, I thought it was called a sweet tea martini and I googled it.  Sweet tea vodka and lemonade.  Well that sounded easy enough, except I don't like a lot of sugar.  Instead,  I decided to experiment with Mary Johnson's recipe for lemon drops, substituting the sweet tea vodka for the citron vodka and triple sec and using fresh squeezed lemons, water and truvia rather than a pre-mixed sweetened lemonade.  

It was just too much alcohol.  One martini shaker later, (about 2 1/2 drinks) and I had to take a nap.  Oh well, tomorrow would be another day. 

And so it was a couple of more tomorrows, getting the ratio of fresh lemons, water and truvia correct and I think I have finally perfected my recipe.  I think I mentioned in a previous post that I don't like to taste the alcohol in a drink and these taste just like iced tea.

I made them for Mikey's tutor, my friend Carol, and she said she thinks she likes them better than the lemon drops.  My daughter came over yesterday and I made them for her.   She said they were different from the ones in Boston. Different because in Boston they were Sweet Tea Lemonades, but she liked these as well.  For me, it's a hard choice.  I love the lemon drops, but these are fantastic as well and because they're something new, I have to say these are my preference for now.  

I am sharing the recipe below.  If you make them, please let me know what you think, I would love to hear your reviews!!  Enjoy.





Judi's Sweet Tea Martini 
(makes approximately 2 1/2 drinks using a standard martini shaker)

2 packets of truvia
4 oz water
juice of 2 lemons
4 martini shaker capfuls of sweet tea vodka (I prefer Firefly brand).

Fill the shaker with ice, shake and pour into chilled martini glass rubbed on the rim with lemon and dipped in truvia.  A lemon garnish just makes it really pretty!



CHEERS!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment