And my smoke detector, wired in electronically, about 2 feet into the hallway which was also filled with smoke, DID NOT GO OFF.
In the beginning of October, a story about smoke detectors caught my attention both on the Today Show and then again that evening on The Nightly News With Brian Williams. It was how a woman lost her 4 children in a fire, and although she had working smoke detectors, they did not go off until it was too late. The story went on to show demonstrations of failures of these units. See the Today Show Story link here.