Monday, August 20, 2012

50th Birthday Luau

Last Thursday was my luau at the beach house.  We arrived home from Vermont on Saturday night and my husband drove the mini van to the  house that same night, packed tightly with boxes of my luau decorations.  We went back home after emptying the van and on Sunday afternoon, the boys and I moved back into the beach house.  My friend Cindy helped blow up 6 foot palm trees and other assorted decorations and I sorted through some of the boxes. 



Mikey, David and I were able to squeeze in some afternoon beach time, mornings were utilized for shopping, nights for food preparation.  On Monday night, we put together the straws, lanterns and the table top tiki bar.  






I had tried out the recipes during our July stay at the house, but we hadn't tried any scorpion bowl recipes.  I found one online and we decided to try it.


Scorpion Bowl

1 oz gold rum
1 oz dark rum
1 oz 151 rum
2 oz vodka
2 oz gin
4 oz pinapple juice (adjusted to 12 oz)
4 oz orange juice (adjusted to 6 oz)
4 oz grenadine (adjusted to 3 oz, but also cut the grenadine and add maraschino cherry juice)

I looked at this recipe and thought this didn't sound right, but I grabbed the various liquors at the store and mixed it as directed.  My friends Linda and Cindy, who were helping me out each tried a sip.  It was really tasty, but too strong!  Linda said "I can't drink this, there's too much alcohol in this."  We all agreed, and I added more pineapple juice.  We only drank about an inch or so of the drink and were all pretty buzzed.  I doctored up the recipe and adjusted to 6 oz orange juice and 12 oz pineapple juice.  To fit in my 3 1/2 gallon dispenser, we timed the recipe x 15 and it was delicious.  We even made garnishes for the drinks!


And washed out plastic pineapple cups to serve them in...


The tent was delivered on Wednesday and my daughter and I decorated the tables with grass skirts and tropical themed plastic table cloths.  


Linda and I prepared the dishes of food on Thursday, while my daughter, Cindy and two other friends (Valerie and Lori) worked on the outside decorations.  We were running a little late, but by 6:30, the party was underway and I am happy to report that the food was wonderful, the drinks were divine and a good time was had by all!  I guess we should do it again next year!

























































No comments:

Post a Comment