Saturday, April 12, 2014

Turkey Vulture Visit



Turkey Vultures are common North American birds.  They scout around searching for fresh roadkill and also can be found hanging around dumpsters.  I have often seen them circling in the air, mostly in small groups but had never seen one up close.  Yesterday while riding on the bike path, a huge bird flew by and landed in a tree just ahead of me.  Once I grabbed my camera and zoomed my lens in, I saw his face and instantly recognized this as a turkey vulture.  

He only sat for a few moments and then flew off to join two more of his friends that were circling a hundred yards or so from the bike path, probably searching for lunch.











2 comments:

  1. You took amazing action photos of this vulture! It is beautiful and sort of scary looking!
    (What kind of camera are you using?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks again! It moved quickly and I was lucky to get the shot in flight! I actually see turkey vultures in flight all the time but had not seen one up close. I was so surprised at how big it was! I was shooting with a Nikon D5100 with an 18-200mm lens, f3.5

      Delete