Sunday, February 24, 2013

Eat Your Kale




I keep seeing articles on the benefits of Kale.  It truly is a superfood.  Kale contains large amounts of Vitamins A, C, and K.  It contains Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese and fiber.  Kale contains sulforaphane which is a chemical with anti-cancer properties, as well as indole-3-carbinol, which boosts DNA cell repair and may block the growth of cancer cells.  It also contains bile acid sequestrates which have been shown to lower cholesterol and decrease the absorption of fat.  (And why am I not eating this by the pound?).  

I've been watching the Rachel Ray show on weekday afternoons before picking up the kids from school.  I tried a pasta recipe this week that included kale, but didn't call for the whole bunch.  She had made kale chips on a previous show, so I decided to use the leftover kale to make chips.  My sons loved them.  On our 2nd batch, my older son said he wanted one more, then proceeded to eat 1/2 the bowl!  It is quite simple to make kale chips and much more inexpensive than buying them at the store, as I've seen small bags of kale chips priced at $5.00.  


HOMEMADE KALE CHIPS

Cut the leaves from the white fleshy part of the stem. 
Wash and dry the leaves.  (I used a salad spinner and they got nice and dry).  Spread the leaves (I used curly leaved kale) on a cooking sheet in a single layer.  
Sprinkle lightly with olive oil and a little salt.  (I used sea salt).
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.  Leaves will be nice and green and start to brown on the edges.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Kale chips are good! I haven't made any in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious and the kids LOVE them!! I just bought a microwave chip maker that I saw on Dr. Oz to make beet chips! We'll have to see how that goes!!

      Delete