Friday, June 6, 2014

Gone Fishing




Spending a lot of time on the bike path affords me the opportunity to see many varieties of the local wildlife.   My camera is always with me.  On this particular day, I was riding my regular route and in the distance along the river, I saw a Great Blue Heron flying in my direction, landing along the edge of the bike path about 100 or so feet from me.  I immediately slowed down and got off the bike before I reached him.  Many of the herons I've seen have been skittish and if I get too close, they usually fly off,  but I figured at least I'd get a clean shot of this one flying.

But he looked curious.  He let me get within 20 feet of him, watching me, but not moving.  With my adrenaline pumping, I kept my movements slow and small, the camera was on, the lens was zoomed and I started shooting.  As I photographed him, I noticed a small fish swimming and I knew he was waiting for it.  He was, and in a quick sudden move, he had it in his mouth.  I got a couple of photos before he ate it.  Once he was done, he flew away.  













No comments:

Post a Comment