Sunday, November 3, 2013

Weekend At Bernie's Reunion at RI Comic Con



A couple of months ago, I accidentally came upon an ad for RI Comic Con which advertised "be part of the ultimate reunions with stars from all your favorite shows and movies."  It was scheduled for November 2 and 3 and would be held at the Rhode Island Convention Center, approximately 10 minutes from my home.  A Batman and Power Ranger reunion were the big draws for this convention, however, it was the Weekend at Bernie's reunion which caught my eye.  

I had to go to this convention.  I have been watching this movie for 24 years, still laughing hysterically at the nonsensical plot.  Larry (Andrew McCarthy) and Richard (Jonathan Silverman) discover someone is stealing from the insurance company where they work.  They go to their boss Bernie (Terry Kiser), thinking the discovery will be good for their careers.  What they don't realize is that Bernie is the one stealing from the company. Bernie tells the mobsters he's working for to have Larry and Richard killed when he isn't around.  But instead, the hit man kills Bernie.  Larry and Richard think Bernie overdosed on drugs and Larry wants to pretend he's alive so they can enjoy their weekend at the Hamptons.  Richard doesn't want to go along with Larry's plan until Gwen  (Catherine Mary Stewart), a summer intern at the insurance company shows up in the Hamptons too.  And then the craziness really begins. 

When the movie was first released, my friends and I would watch it in the summer, usually while drinking pina coladas.  We'd watch it in the winter to 'warm' up, still drinking pina coladas.  When I met my husband, I introduced him to this movie, one of my all time favorites.  He laughed so hard at one point, he fell off the couch.  In 1993, the sequel Weekend at Bernie's 2 was released and we began watching both movies.  And now, every summer when we're at the beach, these Weekend at Bernie's movies come with us for our 'movie nights'.  We've switched from fattening pina coladas to a skinny version of lemon drop martinis.   Our friends come over year after year to watch these movies.  And the laughing never stops…  

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Terry, Catherine, Jonathan and Andrew!  I cannot even adequately express how exciting it was for me to meet you all, the actors in one of my most favorite movies!  Continued success to all of you! xoxo


Andrew McCarthy, Jonathan Silverman and Terry Kiser meeting up for the first time in years!


Bernie, "Let's make it a murder-suicide.  Okay gentlemen." (Terry Kiser)
Hey Bern...
Richard, "Why are the hairs on the back of my neck starting to stand up?" (Jonathan Silverman)
Larry, "Why don't we pretend he didn't die.  Just for a bit" (Andrew McCarthy)
Richard and Larry in unison, "It's Gwen" (Catherine Mary Stewart)
The photo I came for!!!  With Bernie, with sunglasses!
And my autographed photo!







2 comments:

  1. How cool, Judi! I loved that movie too! What a fun experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, It was really great! I was so excited when I saw they were coming to Providence! I have been smiling since Saturday! I had been hoping to get a photo with 'Bernie' and was absolutely thrilled that he wore his sunglasses.

      Delete